Monday, April 16, 2007

The Origin of "Nappy"

I'm currently enrolled in a thought provoking course titled, "Insurgency and Globalization". During class, the word nappy was the subject of a brief conversation. Radio personality Don Imus erupted controversy when he referred to the Rutgers University women's basketball team as "nappy headed hoes". Since then, Imus' radio talk shows have been dismissed by MSNBC and CBS. But, his words ignited debates and conversations about the origin of "nappy".

Growing up, the word meant course, thick hair, not straight. Many young girls use the term, not knowing where it derived from. (I must also admit, growing up, I too didn't know the word's origin.) As a result of ignorance, girls have internalized society's measurements of beauty. They think their natural hair texture isn't good enough. It's sad that a demeaning concept "nappy" causes young women to over process their hair. They walk around with damaged hair and bruised souls, trying to assimilate into a culture of fear, hatred and greed.

The word nappy was originated by Europeans to demean women of African decent. As my college friend eloquently wrote:

The concept of nappy [is] actually [a] creation by a Eurocentric power structure, which sought to on one hand portray black women as sexual “mules” (hoes) and on the other hand to demonize and dehumanize Afrikan people (nigga). Nappy headed, as a concept, is also European in its construction because European people decided that they also had to demonize the physical characteristics of Afrikan people. Their hair was one of them. Therefore, they called it nappy, which was supposed to be bad. This isn't just an American phenomenon. It happened everywhere Afrikan people were exploited by colonialism, imperialism and slavery. One such place was Kenya - the way the British viewed the Mau Mau. I don't believe I have to go in-depth historically for us to understand that the demonization of Afrikan people was done by Europeans as a ploy to justify their actions.

Today, women are ignoring the status quo and accepting the true essence of their natural beauty. They are walking embodiments that illustrate, "Black is beautiful." Although I straighten my hair, I value and respect women who choose to wear their hair natural. They represent the motherland's beautiful origins.

Salaam,
E. Tanille

3 comments:

kim said...

I learned something from reading this today and I thank u for posting it so that others get a better understanding of words we use daily without know its orgin.

E. Tanille said...

I'm glad you learned something. That's the purpose of this blog...to engage in truth telling. And If I have served one person, then I'm satisfied.

Keep Reading.
Salaam,
E. Tanille

hmm said...

I saw your link show up on a youtube video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx6U6oIy5yw&annotation_id=annotation_962184&feature=iv

Why don't you wear your hair natural?